International recognition for the best doctoral research
Bingley, United Kingdom, 19 April 2017 – Emerald Publishing and EFMD are proud to announce the winners of the 2016 Emerald/EFMD Outstanding Doctorial Research Awards (ODRA), now in their 12th consecutive year.
For the 2016 awards scheme, applicants that completed and satisfied examinations for doctoral awards between January 2014 and January 2017 were invited to submit research into the following seven categories: Operations and production management; Logistics and supply chain management; Educational leadership and strategy; Management and governance; Human resource management; Leadership and organization development; and Healthcare management.
Of the 119 entries, the judges – Editors and Editorial Advisory Board Members of the sponsoring Emerald Publishing journals – picked winners based on the significance of theory and practice; originality and innovation; appropriateness and application of the methodology and the quality of data/research.
The seven winning authors, who each receive a cash prize of €1,500 and are welcomed to submit a paper based on their thesis are:
- Dr Haley Allison Beer, Warwick Business School for "An exploration of people’s experiences of the performance measurement process in social enterprises" sponsored by International Journal of Operations & Production Management
- Dr Jennifer Espinosa, Rowan University for "Understanding the complexity of product returns management: A complex adaptive systems theory perspective" sponsored by International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management
- Dr Jared Boyce, Teacher College, Columbia University for "Commitment and Leadership: What we know from the schools and staffing survey" sponsored by Journal of Educational Administration
- Dr Jaideep Pandit, University of Oxford for "Towards efficiency: Developing quantitative measures of operating theatre performance in the National Health Service" sponsored by Journal of Health Organization and Management
- Philip Maxton, University of Pretoria for "Employee transition throughout an appreciative inquiry intervention" sponsored by Leadership & Organization Development Journal
- Thomas Lindner, WU Vienna for "Financing international business: Distance, the cost of capital and financial structure" sponsored by Management Decision
- Dr Rachelle Pascoe-Deslauriers, University of Strathclyde for "Job displacement and the implications for job quality: An investigation of the job transition process for public sector workers in Scotland, UK and Ontario, Canada in the great recession" sponsored by Personnel Review.
11 highly commended papers from authors based at universities in Brazil, UK, Germany, Cyprus, Belgium, Finland, and the USA were also selected, demonstrating Emerald’s global author base.
Tony Roche, Publishing Director at Emerald said: “Emerald would like to congratulate all of the winning and highly commended authors of the 2016 Emerald/EFMD ODRAs.
“Emerald is proud to celebrate excellence in international business and management research along with EFMD, recognizing the hard work and commitment our authors put into their papers, and providing them with the opportunity to publish their research in impactful, internationally recognized journals.”
Eric Cornuel, Director General & CEO of EFMD, added: “EFMD is delighted to see that the relevant and impactful research is being recognized. Together with Emerald, we are proud to support doctoral graduates in their efforts to make a difference to society and have their contribution to knowledge appreciated by an international audience.”
“Once again, we would like to warmly congratulate to all the winners as well as the authors of the highly-commended research papers for their awards."
Over the past 12 years, the Emerald/EFMD ODRA scheme has awarded 100 winning papers with a combined prize of €150,000. More than 500 highly commended papers have also been awarded since 2005.
A full list of the 2016 winning and highly commended authors and research papers can be found on Emerald Publishing.
– Ends –
About EFMD: www.efmd.org
EFMD is an international not-for-profit membership organization with nearly 900 members from academia, business, public sector and consultancy from 87 countries. It is a unique forum for information, research, networking and debate on innovation and best practice in management development. EFMD is recognized globally as an accreditation body of quality in management education with established accreditation services for business schools and business school programmes, corporate universities and online courses.
About Emerald: www.emeraldpublishing.com
Nurturing fresh thinking that makes an impact
Emerald Publishing was founded in 1967 to champion new ideas that would advance the research and practice of business and management. Today, we continue to nurture fresh thinking in applied fields where we feel we can make a real difference, now also including health and social care, education and engineering. We publish over 300 journals, more than 2,500 books and over 1,500 case studies, via our dedicated research platform emeraldinsight.com
Emerald Publishing Limited
Phone: +44 (0) 1274 777700